|Representative Publications (underscored names of authors are former students):
- O’Hara, R.E., Gibbons, F.X., Gerrard, M., Li, Z., & Sargent, J.D. (in press). Exposure to Sexual Content in Popular Movies Predicts Earlier Sexual Debut and Increased Sexual Risk-taking. Psychological Science.
- Gerrard, M., Stock, M.L., Roberts, M.E., Gibbons, F.X., O’Hara, R E., Weng, C-Y., & Wills, T.A. (2012). Coping with Racial Discrimination: The Role of Substance Use. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 26, 550-560.
- Roberts, M.E., Gibbons, F.X., Gerrard. M., & Weng, C-Y. (2012). From racial discrimination to risky sex: Prospective relations involving peers and parents. Developmental Psychology, 48, 89-102.
- O’Hara, R.E., Gibbons, F.X., Gerrard, M., Li, Z., & Sargent, J.D. (2012). Greater exposure to sexual content in popular movies predicts earlier sexual debut and increased sexual risk taking. Psychological Science. 23, 984–993.
- Roberts, M.E., Gerrard, M., Reimer, R., & Gibbons, F.X. (2010). Mother-daughter communication and human papillomavirus vaccine uptake by college students. Pediatrics, 125, 982-989.
- Stock, M.L., Gerrard, M., Gibbons, F.X., Dykstra, J.L., Mahler, H.I.M., Walsh, L., & Kulik, J.A. (2009). Sun protection intervention for highway workers: Long-term efficacy of UV photography and skin cancer information on men’s protective cognitions and behavior. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 38, 225-236.
- Gerrard, M., Gibbons, F.X., Houlihan, A.E., Stock, M.L., & Pomery, E.A. (2008). A dual process approach to health risk decision making: The prototype willingness model. Developmental Review, 28, 29-61. (Invited paper in Special Issue: Emerging Directions in Risk and Rational Decision Making).
- Blanton, H., & Gerrard, M. (1997). Effect of sexual motivation on the perceived riskiness of a sexual encounter: There must be fifty ways to justify a lover. Health Psychology, 16, 374-379.
- Gerrard, M., Gibbons, F. X., Gano, M. L., & Vande Lune, L. S. (2005). Images of smokers and willingness to smoke among African American pre-adolescents: An application of the prototype/willingness model of adolescent health risk behavior to smoking initiation. Pediatric Psychology, 30, 305-318.
- Gerrard, M., Gibbons, F. X., & Reis-Bergan, M. (2000). Self-esteem and self-serving health cognitions: Implications for those who engage in risky behavior. Journal of Personality, 68, 1177-1201.
- Gerrard, M., Gibbons, F. X., & Reis-Bergan, M. (1999). The effect of communications on risk perceptions: The significance of individual differences. Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 25, 94-100.
- Gerrard, M., Gibbons, F. X., Reis-Bergan, M., Trudeau, L., VandeLune, L., & Buunk B. P. (2002). Inhibitory effects of drinker and non-drinker prototypes on adolescent alcohol consumption. Health Psychology, 21, 601-609.
- Gerrard, M., Gibbons, F. X., VandeLune, L. S., Pexa, N., & Gano, M. L. (2002). Adolescents’ substance-related risk perceptions: Antecedents, mediators, and consequences. Risk Decision and Policy, 7, 175-191.
- Gerrard, M., Gibbons, F. X., Zhao, L., Russell, D. W., & Reis-Bergan, M. (1999). The effects of peers’ alcohol consumption on parental influence: A cognative mediational model. Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 13, 183-197.
- Gibbons, F. X., Gerrard, M., Blanton, H., & Russell, D. W. (1998). Cognative antecedents to adolescent health risk: Discriminating between behavioral intention and behavioral willingness. Psychology and Health, 13, 319-339.
- Gibbons, F. X., Gerrard, M., Blanton, H., & Russell, D. W. (1998). Reasoned action and social reaction: Willingness and intention as independent predictors of health risk. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 74, 1164-1181.
- Gibbons, F. X., Lane, D. J., Gerrard, M., Pomery, E. A., & Lautrup, C. (2002). Drinking and driving: A prospective assessment of the relation between risk cognitions and risk behavior. Risk Decision and Policy, 7, 267-283.
- Mahler, H. I., Kulik, J. A., Gibbons, F. X., & Gerrard, M. (2003). Effects of a UV image and photoaging information on the sun protection behaviors of southern California college students and beachgoers. Health Psychology, 22, 199-209.
- Thorton, B., Gibbons, F. X., & Gerrard, M. (2002). Risk perceptions and prototype perception: Independent processes predicting risk behavior. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 38, 986-999.